Thursday, May 5, 2011
Lemon Meringue Pie..................
10 inch baked pie shell
2 cups sugar
½ cup cornstarch
2 cups water
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten (save the whites for meringue)
¼ cup butter or margarine
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 drops yellow food color, if desired
Meringue for 9-inch Pie
1. Bake pie shell.
2. Heat oven to 400°.
3. Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
4. Gradually stir in water.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
6. Boil and stir 1 minute.
7. Gradually stir at least half the hot mixture into egg yolks.
8. Blend into hot mixture in pan.
9. Boil and stir 1 minute (2 minutes for 10-inch pie).
10. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, and food color.
11. Pour into baked pie shell.
12. Heap meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
13. Bake about 10 minutes or until a delicate brown.
14. Cool away from draft.
4 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla
1. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
2. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not under beat.
3. Beat in vanilla.
Enjoy with some ice-cream or whipped cream or by itself
Pin It Now!